Nasipit Updates

About Nasipit

The recorded history of Nasipit can be traced back to as early as 1880s when it was declared as a pueblo by the Spanish colonizers. According to townsfolk, its name may derived to an incident where a native, immediately after being bitten by a crab, was asked the name of the place by an immigrant. Misunderstanding the question, the native answered “na-si-pit” meaning bitten by a crab. Since then, the town became known as Nasipit. Nasipit was officially separated from the municipality of Butuan on August 1, 1929. It became a municipality by virtue of Executive Order No. 181 issued by Acting Governor General Eugene Gilmore of the U.S. Army. A proposal to change its name to Aurora was initiated by former Governor Teofisto Guingona Sr. but due to the strong opposition from townsfolk, the name Nasipit was retained. In 1949 the barrios of Carmen, Tagcatong, Cahayagan and San Agustin, formerly part of this municipality, became the town of Carmen by virtue of Republic Act No. 380 which was approved on June 15, 1949.

Vision

The Sangguniang Bayan shall be a potent sector of the Local Government Unit capable of actualizing the local autonomy mandates of the Local Government Code, which shall hasten the development of the people and the growth of the Municipality to make it self-reliant and thereby become viable and effective partner of the national development goals through responsive and effective legislations.

Mission

To provide policies for the plans, programs and activities of the Local Government Unit of Nasipit which will develop, promote and enhance the living status and quality of life of its constituents.

Videos


Recent News